Categories and Tags
Categories and Tags
Categories group posts into general topics. Readers can browse specific categories to see all posts that contain similarly related content. Categories are required for posts. Each site has a default category that gets applied to a post should you forget to create or attach one.
You can place a post under more than one category.
In these examples, we’ll be pulling all research posts into areas of the website.
To put your post into a category:
Click the check box next to the category (or categories) you would like your post to appear under.
To add a new category:
- Open a post.
- Click Add a New Category from the categories module.
- Type the name of the category into the text box.
- Select the parent category to place it in a hierarchy. If it is top level, keep the tab at Parent category.
- Click Add.
To grab the category ID:
- Hover over Posts in the left-hand navigation and click Categories.
- A list of categories will show, with the ID of the category in the fall right column (as shown below).
To include/exclude specific categories on your Homepage news feed:
- Edit your homepage.
- In the Homepage Options, load News/Events/Videos/People.
- Enter the category ID you want to exclude in the ‘Exclude Categories’ field.
- Save and Update the page.
To create a listing of only a specific category on a page:
- Add/edit the page on which you would like to put your category.
- Select the news listing button as shown below.
- Under Filter by Category/Categories, select the box next to the category you would like to list.
- Click Insert News Listing. A shortcode will be inserted into the editing box.
- Update the page.
To show only a specific category in your sidebar:
- Add/edit the page where your sidebar is located.
- Scroll down to Page Options.
- From the drop-down menu, select Sidebar – News and click Load.
- Enter the category ID in the ‘Recent News Category’ field.
- Save and update the page.
Tags refer to micro-categories for your news posts. Posts with similar tags are linked together when a user clicks one of the tags. Tags are not mandatory.
To create a tag:
- Type the tag word into the text field and click Add.
Once you begin adding tags, WordPress automatically archives these tags, and you may choose from the most popular.